In the spring of 1921, surveyors for the Union Pacific Railroad were studying at the land south of Torrington for a proposed route into the Goshen Hole Country. On their heels were land speculators, several of whom bought the land of Charles Lacy and named a townsite after him.
Between March and June, the new town of Lacy quickly took shape. Among its businesses were two general stores, a bank, two restaurants, a dance hall, and a barbershop. A post office, community club, and baseball team added to the social life of the fledgling community. In the offering were a Methodist church, school and a drug store. “Lacy is still in its infancy,” the Torrington Telegram observed in late June 1921, “but is a lively little place.”
Interestingly, according to early reports, the buildings were not on permanent footings just in case they had to be moved. Three nearby communities – Mason, Springer and Yoder, all near Lacy – hoped the railroad would come through their respective areas. But as the summer progressed, the future of Lacy looked bright. Because land owners were in close contact with railroad officials, the prospect of the railroad coming through Lacy seemed certain.
But it was not meant to be.
In June 1921, railroad officials decided to locate the route through Yoder, one quarter mile northeast of Lacy. On July 4th, the buildings were moved and the town of Lacy was no more.
— Carl Hallberg, Reference Archivist